Well a study reported at a recent Glasgow conference reported a reduction of life expectancy of about twenty years in men (May et al.). Sound depressing? Well the good news is that this figure includes those people who test late for HIV and they distort the figures.
What happens in people who test late for HIV is that the infection has progressed to the point where it is producing symptoms that are serious. The guy takes a test, but for many it’s simply too late. The body is simply too ill to recover, and if offered combination therapy, their body does not respond to treatment as effectively.
What happens if you catch HIV early? Well for those people who catch HIV early and maintain treatment the life expectancy improves dramatically. In this group of people life expectancy is starting to approach normal!
Many sexual health clinics these days offer HIV tests as a matter of routine. The next time you have a check up take the HIV test too. It could literally save your life.
Dr Phil Tyson is a Men's Psychotherapist based in Manchester in the UK. He offers:
- Group therapy weekends for men in London and Manchester
- Beginners meditation weekend retreats for men in London and Manchester
- Counselling for men in Manchester
- Psychotherapy for men in Manchester
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (cbt) for men in Manchester
- Telephone and online counselling for men wherever you live
- Supervision and consultative support for therapists in Manchester